I am so happy Tim Holtz gave us two tags for inspiration this month as a make-up for having a blank in the tag ‘calendar’. I’ve been looking forlornly at the blank tag hanging in January’s spot on my display board all year – wondering. My next decision was which tag to make into a January tag and which one for December. Decisions, decisions! In the end my decision was based on my choise to used the same colours Tim used for each specific tag, and then deciding that my board would look better with the red in Decembers spot and blue for January. So with that in mind, I give you my December Tag.
Love the bold red background on this very festive looking tag. I made it using the techinque he used, but instead of using Distress Metallic Stains I used a Lindy’s Stamp Gang Moonglow Stain. I used the same stain to flick spots over it when it was finished too. I tried out a few ticket styled pieces to use as Tim had done, but in the end I opted for this Crafty Secrets Scrap of a Vintage Santa. Love the high contrast of the blue, red and green.
I had the Stamp2Cut ‘believe’ word precut and coloured in my box of tricks and wanted to use it, even though it’d get lost in the backgroound since it was nearly the same colour. For my purposes I felt it added another layer of texture so it wasn’t necessary to have a more obvious contrast so it could be read. And since I was winging it with a word that was not meant to be read I thought I repeat that idea at the bottom of the tag, and stamped and embossed a different ‘believe’ word. I used a stamped flourish instead of a die cut one the Tim used.
So, what to do with my focal embellishment? I could have gone with a poinsettia, but the ones I have on hand just weren’t giving me that much joy. But I do have the Sizzix Holly Branch die, and this time of the year is about the only time it’ll get used so I thought it prudent to make use of it. I like the feature of text on the poinsettia Tim used so I repeated that idea with some heavy weight designer paper from MME. I finger folded some lines to create the look of veins and add shape and dimension to the leaves. And for good measure, a couple of swipes with stickles applied with my fingers to the leaves and berries was added.
The nearly completed display board. This is my work in progress cork board which is propped up beside me at the desk, but soon I’ll need to clear it for another project. I’d love Tim to do another 12 tags, or maybe I’ll find a different challenge to do. Who knows what awaits my attention in the new year! But before I get ahead of myself there is still that empty spot at the beginning that needs to be filled. I know some of your have enjoyed watching the board ‘grow’ and you won’t want to miss the final installment. See you all back here soon.