So here we are in the month of September, and I have my lastest tag inspired by Tim Holtz’s 12 Tags of 2012. This month Tim demonstrated a technique with adhesive foil, alchohol inks and free style embossing with a stylus to create an industrial rivetted look. Initially I tried the instructions, made a couple of samples, decided I wasn’t too keen on anything I was producing, so went back to original tag to see what other inspiration I could get, and started afresh. Along the way I learnt a few more things thru play and experimentation and came up with this.
I went with a nature theme to contrast against the industrial theme. And since I don’t own any black or dark coloured alcohol inks, my colour palette went in a different direction. I must be one of the minority in my overall lack of love for using alcohol inks, but I was well pleased with the final result of the background. If I was smart I would have taken a photo before I covered most of it up, so I’ll show you some up close glimpses instead.
Firstly I chose to just use one layer of foil sheet instead of cutting up little pieces for a patchwork style look. I then pressed lines and patterns into the foil with various tools and implements in the craft room. Then I dripped several colours of alcohol ink, watermelon, sunhine yellow and raisin, onto the metal surface and let them run down the tag. I was keen to add a blue element to the background, and lacking anything blue in my small alcohol ink collection I opted to stamp with blue Archival Inks. In this photo you can see where I’ve used the splatter image from Bitty Grunge.
This is the corner where I first experimented with the stamping, using a twiggy stem image from Natures Elements. The image didn’t turn out as I hoped but I liked the way the oil based ink reacted with the alcohol ink, giving a worn, corroded look.
I have a collection of inked tags and scraps from previous experimentations and play with ink, and I cut the bird from from that stash. My initial thought was to leave the bird with a flat colour, but it just didn’t look right, so I glimmered him up with some Lindy Stamp Gang colour. To counteract all that shimmer and shine I added the matt look with the word tags.
My little floral arrangement is a hodgepodge of left overs, mostly from the tag I made back in May. I like the differences in shiny and flat, soft and hard, that these three elements bring together.
There are only a few spaces left on the tag wall now. It seemed so bare when I first adding the tags to the Tag Wall. Usually I have this board next to my work space but at the biginning of this month I was without it. Since I loosely choose colours for the current tag based on what other tags it will hang near, I was a bit lost. Not that I needed to have worried since it’s a very colourful display anyways.
Thanks for dropping by to see what I’ve been up to this month.