Creative Chemistry 101 – Part Two

Hello, I’m back again with samples of what I made in week two of Creative Chemistry 101. I didn’t come thru with a post midweek, as was the hope I expressed in my last post. I opted for some much needed time out after a hectic week, and grabbed a moment here and there throughout this week to play with some more ideas from the class.

.

This is how my sample board is shaping up. I was not able to test all the techniques due to lack of suitable supplies or lack of time, but I’ll revisit those classes when I have what I need to complete them. My purpose was not to make a completed tag, but rather I wanted to get to know my products and what I could achieve with them. Some of my samples turned out somewhat ugly or messed up, but I learned the most from these. So I’ll run through a few of the tags with you today and touch on a few things that were of interest to me.

.

These tag samples above were my own tests to satisfy my curiosity about my water based dye ink pads. The two samples on the left were done with Stampin’Up! Classic Ink, and the ones on the right are made with Distress Ink. I purposely chose dark browns for this test as brown is usually a composite reds and greens, and I wanted to see how much the colour separated when water was added.

.

Day Eight of the class was all about paints. I worked on two techniques using Distress Crackle paints, and combined them onto one tag. The first technique on the background, was to use the crackle paint as a resist and to create texture. I wasn’t too keen on any of the results I got from several attempts at this technique. User error maybe? The other technique of applying clear crackle to a chipboard base, and then inking over the top when dry gave a much better result. I loosen a couple of crackle ‘chips’ from the surface of the chipboard doing this technique, so some more experience to prevent this is in order.

.

Day Nine lessons were about mica powders. I used the Lindy Stamp Gang Magical Micas for these tags. The first three tags here are the same technique but changing the amount of water spritzed onto the tag to make the ink bleed. The last tag is like a wrinkle free distress with  blobs of mica added to the ink puddles. The mica powders I used have a dye (?) and a mica component to them, so when they were spritzed I got some extra unexpected colours when they mixed with the inks already on the tag.

.

The leaf tag gave me the most unexpected results. I used about four different mica powders here, and when spritzed other colours emerged. It would be fun to explore different colour combos of dye ink and Lindy’s Stamp Gang Magical Micas. Love the way the micas catch the light and make the leaf images pop.

.

The last lesson was all about mediums, glues and sealers, and the technique we were shown was using Distress Stickles, a glitter glue. For my backgrounds I used Stampin’Up! Classic Ink (L) and Distress Ink (R). I applied a little more water then I intended, so the image got blurred up more than planned, but I was still happy with the end result. After getting the tags as dry as possible, I wiped clear Distress Stickles all over the surface with my finger. 

.

Tim described this like sugar coated sweetness, and thats a perfect way to describe his glitter top coat of these tags. This is the kind of glitter effect I find most palatable – pun intended. I can see me using this more often in my crafting. This was my favourite technique of the week.

.

This last photo is a revisit of the water colouring with reinkers technique I showed in the last post. The one on the right was the one I showed using the Distress Reinkers. Since I was doing double ups of techniques using my two brands of ink I had to go back when I had some time and do a sample with Stampin’Up! Reinkers, which you can see on the left. My workmanship is a bit sloppy (I need to wear glasses when doing this, lol), but my objective was to see if I could achieve a good result of blending with both brands.  I think they both work well.

During class I got to learn more about Archival Inks by Ranger, an oil based dye ink. I’ve not tried an ink like this before so I order a few colours to play with. When I get them I’ll go back and try some of the other techniques and report my results in the weeks to come. I’ll be back soon with some finished cards I made with what I learned during this class.

Theresa

Advertisements
Categories: Creative Chemistry 101, Lindy's Stamp Gang, Stampin' Up!, Tags, Tim Holtz | Tags: , , , , | 1 Comment

Post navigation

One thought on “Creative Chemistry 101 – Part Two

  1. Your tags are awesome. You are a great photographer too,as you got such detailed shots. I love them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: