Last week I recieved a very cute little mini album from my blogging friend Diane.
There was so much detail and work in this pretty gift. Just in the cover alone I see stamping, colouring, paper piecing, die cutting, distressing, sponging and the cutest, littlest button embellishments. And these small details were featured through out this cleverly designed album, with lots of fun places to place photos and notes. Diane creates downloadable patterns for clever mini albums on her blog.
I’m quite taken with the faux suede flower on the center pages here. I spent quite a bit of time going through this gift, over and over, looking at every detail. I was fascinated. So with this fascination and my new supplies I decided to have a go at making something similar for myself. So I got out my ruler and studied the basic construction of the book, and threw myself in the project.
I found a piece of Bazzil cardstock in my stash that matched my new Prima papers, so I used that as my base for this 4″x4″ album. Once I had the pages cut, scored, folded and glued, I was ready to start the fun of decorating it.
For the cover of my album I used left over die cuts of watercoloured paper, dyed with distress inks. I shaped this rose with a ball stylus to get a different look to my previous roses. And the checkerboard pattern in the paper is one of my new Tim Holtz stamps, stamped with versamark and then dusted with my new mica powders.
The spine of the album was covered with another die cut made with a Spellbinder Borderabilities. The butterfly was a bright yellow sticker until I altered it with some alcohol inks.
This is one of the pages with the foldout opened. A lot of the items that decorate these pages were little bits of this and that, that I have floating about in my craft room. Many of the die cut elements are left overs from other crafting days. The daisy trim was altered with inks.
I made this little tag envelope with a template that I purchased several years ago but rarely used, and I think it’s a perfect inclusion on a page like this. I had to do a bit of finessing with the paper since it was single sided and I needed doubled sided paper to make the pocket. I used up a lot of scraps making this book and it was fun finding creative ways to utilise them.
On this foldout page I made a pocket with two loose inserts. The edges of the inserts were stenciled thru Prima masks with Distress Inks, and a journalling image stamped onto the back for recording information.
I made these cute little tags with bits of leftover scrap paper, spritzed with some mica powders mixed into a mini mister. I was scratching my head for a while trying to figure out how to incorporate them into the album, then I finally devised a way of hanging them from a panel at the top of the page. Such a cute and fun little inclusion.
Through out the album I spritzed various embellishments and papers with my fun little glitz spray. I added a small scoop of a gold mica powder to water in a mini mister, shook vigourously and added sparkle in short bursts. The edges of these leaves were painted with a wet brush dipped into the powder. And I also used it with versamark, as mentioned earlier. They have added a gorgeous finishing touch to this mini album. The mica powders are from Lindy’s Stamp Gang, and they are just beautiful. I’ve been experimenting with their products in a variety of ways and I’ll report back with my findings when I’m done.
I’ve not made a project like this before, but I found it a lot of fun devising ways to include insertions and decorating it. I’m already thinking about making my next one. Stay tuned for that one too. And thank you Diane for the wonderful inspiration and help.